Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Sleeping with Bread Monday: A Tale of Woe and Joy

The Woe

I received a frantic phone call from my Mother last week. She has been wintering in Arizona and was in the process of preparing for her cross country trip back to North Carolina when she received a call that her Mother (my 89 year old Grandmother) had been rushed to the hospital and was pretty much "bleeding out." Grandma has a chronic condition that requires much medical oversight and occasional blood transfusions. The doctors can not locate the precise location of the bleeders without exploratory surgery, and at 89 years of age they are hesitant to take this route.

My Mother immediately got in her RV and started driving across country, towing her car. She was blessed with incredibly good weather and traffic conditions the first day. The second and third days were spent driving in white out conditions, from April blizzards, and dodging tornadoes. Of course I was worried about the weather, but I was very concerned about her driving alone in a state of frantic worry.

"Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth I call to you. I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I."
Psams 61: 1,2

The Joy

My Grandmother will be going home from the hospital today. After 11 pints of blood, the doctors were in the process of preparing to do the exploratory surgery when the bleeding suddenly stopped. They don't know why the massive bleeding suddenly stopped. They have no explanation for why my Grandmother is up walking the hospital halls and eating lasagna dinners.

My Mother made it safely through the snow and winds without incident. When I talked to her several times during her trip she sounded unnaturally calm. There is no earthly explanation for her calm. She is not a calm person.

No earthly explanation.

"Always give thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."
Ephesians 5:20

Sleeping with Bread is a Monday meme thought up by Mary at Life, the Universe and Everything.

3 comments:

  1. What a blessing. There's just no words for things like this, this grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God works in so many ways. I've experienced this unnatural calm and it is, without doubt heaven sent.

    P.S. Thanks for the comments on my blog. It's nice to connect with new people in blogger land.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is good ...

    all the time ...

    I'm glad this is one story where we got to know it plain and clear without any veils.

    see ya later
    me

    ReplyDelete