Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Tag! You're It! (123 Book Meme)

Looks like I've been tagged by Mary-LUE at Life, the Universe and Everything for the 123 Book Meme. Gosh, I feel like I've been picked to be on a team or something! Fortunately it doesn't involve connecting a bat or a foot or hands to a ball. I can't tell you how BAD I am at ball sports. Here are the instructions for the 123 Book Meme:
  1. Find the nearest book.
  2. Name the book & the author.
  3. Turn to page 123.
  4. Go to the fifth sentence on the page. Copy out the next three sentences and post to your blog.
  5. Tag three more folks.
I've chosen to post a few sentences from American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

"A wraith appeared on the right of the church, while on the left of the church something with a half-glimpsed, pointed, unsettlingly birdlike face, a pale, Boschian nightmare, glided smoothly from a headstone into the shadows and was gone. Then the church door opened, a priest came out, and the ghosts, haunts, and corpses vanished, and only the priest and the drunk were left alone in the graveyard. The priest looked down at the drunk disdainfully, and backed through the open door, which closed behind him, leaving the drunk on his own."

OK! So, that was an interesting three sentences. I have not read this book yet, so I'm curious to place these three sentences into the context of the story. I bought this book to satiate my current interest in the use of various mythologies in current literature. This book promises a story that includes the use of mythologies (mainly European), worldview, religions, and metaphor.

I must now tag 3 others ... so "Tag! You're It!":**
  1. Robin H. at Just a Blip
  2. Mel at Actual Unretouched Photo
  3. Pam at MarillaAnne Blog
**Hopefully the 3 I've tagged have not already been tagged for this meme and don't mind being tagged to play. My apologies if you have and you do.

1 comment:

  1. Those are very promising sentences. I can't remember if I've read Gaiman before but I have read an interview with him and Joss Whedon in Time Magazine that I really loved. I'm curious to see what you think of it when you are done.

    ReplyDelete