Saturday, October 22, 2011

Read-a-thon: Hour Ten

"I think that I still have it in my heart someday to paint a bookshop with the front yellow and pink in the evening ... like a light in the midst of the darkness." - Vincent van Gogh

I've picked up A Yellow-Lighted Bookshop by Lewis Buzbee and am reading essay number one: Alone Among Others.

I must say I agree with Buzbee when he says, "Much of my excitement at being in a bookstore comes from the place itself, the understanding that I can stay here for as long as need be. The unspoken rules we've developed for the bookstore are quite different from the rules that govern other retail enterprises." This is only one of the reasons I'd hate to see the brick and mortar booksellers disappear. I find bookstores comforting. My husband, bless him, has been known to take me to the bookstore when he knows I'm stressed or discouraged. It always helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment