Thursday, October 01, 2009

Hello Japan! - A new mini-challenge

Tanabata of In Spring it is the Dawn is hosting a new monthly mini-challenge called Hello Japan! Hello Japan! sounds like a fantastic way to learn more about Japanese culture and literature. In fact:
"Each month there will be a topic and/or activity relating to some aspect of Japanese literature or culture. Each task shouldn't take more than a couple of hours, unless you opt to do more, and is meant to be a fun way to let you experience a little taste of Japan no matter where you live."
I've never been to Japan, but I do have quite an interest in learning about this country and its culture and history. My father spent several years in Japan during the 1950s and I have his photo album full of the images he captured on film while he was there. This might explain some of my interest, yes?

Since today is the first day of October (I love October!), I can get started right away with this month's challenge:
"The task this month is to read or watch something scary, spooky, or suspenseful, and Japanese of course!"
I think I'm going to multi-task this month and combine my October reading for both the Japanese Literature Challenge and the RIP Challenge with this task. I'll be reading Tales of Moonlight and Rain by Akinari Ueda. I'm looking forward to the supernatural and ghostly with a Japanese focus!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Terri! This is a fun challenge. I have a few books that I think would fit into this challenge. I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you won't be disappointed with Tales of Moonlight and Rain unless I'm very much mistaken. I loved those eerie stores, and I can still remember many of them although I read the collection two years ago. I will be reading Realm of The Dead, and I better get on over to Tanabata's and tell her. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for bringing this to my attention. i will join too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tales of Moonlight and Rain looks wonderful and the mini challenge too tempting to pass by. I'm heading over to join. Happy reading 0:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of this Hello Japan mini-challenge series! I'm not sure what I'll do for this month--maybe just have to watch a movie, but Tales of Moonlight and Rain does sound perfect for the fall season!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for mentioning Hello Japan! Tales of Moonlight and Rain is a great choice. I hope you enjoy it. Like Bellezza said I can still remember some of the tales quite vividly too.
    And I have to say that I think the photo album of your father's would be absolutely fascinating to look through!

    ReplyDelete