Monday, June 22, 2009

Once Upon a Time III: Challenge Completed


Carl V.'s Once Upon A Time Challenge III ended this last weekend. I was having so much fun reading for this challenge that I didn't want it to end! I originally signed up for "The Journey" which only required that I read one book. I surprised myself by reading five, though I did read almost exclusively outside of the original list I presented. My original choices were:
Widdershins by Charles de Lint
Moonheart by Charles de Lint
The Little Country by Charles de Lint
Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling
Un Lun Dun by China Mieville
The Once and Future King by T.H. White
Tam Lin by Pamela Dean
The Secret Country by Pamela Dean
What I actually read were:
Dreams Underfoot by Charles de Lint
The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle
The Once and Future King by T.H. White
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling

I have yet to actually review any of these titles, but hope to do so soon. They were all fantastic reads and I can't wait to GUSH over them.

It was hard to pick a favorite from this list of books, but Dreams Underfoot by Charles de Lint turned out to be the one that I liked the most. de Lint is a new author to me and I am so glad I chose to read him. I've got quite a few of his other titles lined up on my TBR shelf now and look forward to reading each one. I like de Lint's take on urban fantasy, which seems different than that of other authors. It will take some more thought on my part in order to describe just what it is that is different and why I find it so appealing.

Thanks to Carl V. for hosting this fun challenge. I can't wait until next year!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! How satisfying to complete a challenge -- a whole list to cross off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of your read list, I've only read Tales of Beedle The Bard (loved it more than Harry himself), and A Game of Thrones. I can't believe I call myself a reader and have yet to pick up a Charles de Lint, but all the posts I see (especially yours) encourage me to do so. Quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I discovered de Lint in the very first OUAT challenge. :D You have to read The Little Country next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dolce Bellezza: LOL! I just now got around to de Lint. You know, there are just soooo many good books to read out there :o)

    Eva: Thank you for the de Lint suggestion! I'll move that one to the top of the de Lint stack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well now I really need to pick up Dreams Underfoot seeing that it is your favorite from the bunch! Maybe I'll squeeze in a few stories this weekend. Congrats on finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on completing the challenge, Terri! I haven't yet read a book by Charles de Lint. I'll have to look for Dreams Underfoot.

    ReplyDelete