Monday, August 11, 2008

I'm Back ... Kinda

I've made it back from my interstate travels and am trying to ease myself back into day-to-day life. My blog reader was insanely full, so I simply marked everything as read and will start afresh even though I feel like I'm jumping into the middle of conversations without knowing what is happening.

The interstate trip included Arizona, Colorado, and Utah. The first stop was Flagstaff, Arizona where I was the matron of honor at my sister's wedding. It was lovely and so was she. Also lovely was the opportunity to eat at Macy's European Coffee House each of the five mornings I was in town. If you are ever in Flagstaff, you really should stop at Macy's for a coffee, at the very least (and, no, it doesn't have anything to do with the department store Macy's).

After the wedding in Flagstaff, Mr. Distortion and I continued on to visit family in Colorado. Colorado ... sigh. Let me just say that if Mr. Distortion wasn't bound to his job by the golden handcuffs of future retirement income, I really think I'd be blogging from Colorado rather than California. Our time in Colorado was much too short.

We started home via Utah and spent a day in Cedar City, Utah (Shakespeare Festival anyone?) so that I could visit the used bookstore (Braun Books, for those familiar) and eat at the rustic Rusty's Ranch House where I was surrounded by mounted deer and elk heads while I ate my steak (my apologies to those who find this distasteful). Utah was followed by a drive-by of Las Vegas which sizzled at 111 degrees and was then upstaged by Baker, CA at 116 degrees. I was rather happy to come over the Cajon Pass and wallow in temps that were only in the mid 90s.

My reading took a back seat to people during our trip and so I don't have any book reviews at this time. I came home from our trip craving some reading time and so haven't checked into blogland until now. I managed to finish Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell last week (I couldn't believe how LONG it took me to read it; nearly 4 weeks) and spent this last weekend reading Breaking Dawn so that I wouldn't stumble into any spoilers. Next I'll be reading some books from my 1st in a Series Challenge list in order to catch up.

I hope to catch back up with regular blog visits soon!

4 comments:

  1. Yay for Utah! I'm never been to the festival though. That would be a fun trip. Like you I had to speed my way through Breaking Dawn because I was so afraid that somebody would spoil it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul and I have been enjoying the coffee the folks brought back from Macy's.

    I do that "Mark All As Read" thing, too. It is so overwhelming when you get behind. I like the fresh start, but like you, feel like I am sometimes coming in on the middle of a conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you back! It sounds like you had a busy time but also a great trip.

    ReplyDelete