Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The Inadequacy of Words

Today I was reminded that there are times when words are inadequate. When "being there" is much more important than anything you could possibly say. My heart breaks for a family friend who has suffered a tragedy of the kind you read about in the newspaper. I am just now learning of this event that took place months ago and have sent my condolences. They seem so little and meaningless. There are no words that can describe the heartache I feel for him and his family, yet because of distance and the passage of time I have sent words.

The pen may be mightier than the sword, but the words that flow from a pen can't hold a candle to a simple hug and the knowledge that someone cries with you in your grief.

I cry with you friend.

1 comment:

  1. But you know, your sincere thoughts help too and I am sure your friend appreciates your thoughts and empathy just as much. So sorry for their tragedy.

    ReplyDelete